Friday, August 3, 2012

Road to Recovery

Hello and happy Friday!

I just have to thank everyone that sent me tweets, facebook messages, emails, phone calls, and text messages with well wishes and prayers. They all meant the world to me knowing that there were people out there thinking about me! Thank you all so, so much. :)

My plan was to have another Foodie Friday Recipe post for you guys, but I haven't had a chance to make anything worth sharing. Let's be honest, I haven't been able to make anything at all. My breakfast this morning consisted of Pringles and Snickers Ice Cream. Don't worry... I'm not complaining one bit about it.

Backing up to Wednesday (surgery day), I was up and headed to Temple for a check in time of 10am. After settling in to the waiting room, about 30 minutes went by before we were called up to my pre-surgery room where I would be getting my robe, IV, and things of that sort. We started with a surgery time of 11:30am but didn't actually go until 2:15pm. Yep, you read that right... I was laying in a hospital bed with a creepy IV in my hand and compression gear on my legs, for almost 4 hours waiting, and dreading the moment I would actually have to be separated from my momma and wheeled away to never wake up again. Dramatic much? Maybe just a little.

We passed the time just talking, watching TV (very hard to focus), taking pictures, and me having to pee about 4 times. Whatever they were pumping into me mixed with my nerves and I was a peeing machine. I almost failed to mention that the waiting process left me starving. I had to fast the night before so by the time I was out of surgery, it had been over 20 hours since I had anything to eat.

This looks like a pocket, but it's not. It's a boob hole.

After finally saying goodbye to my mom, I was wheeled away into the operating room where I really started to get nervous. Luckily, the nurses and doctors were incredible and kept me talking enough to keep my mind off of what was going on around me. It also helped that the doctor gave me a quick dose of meds straight into my IV and made me feel immediately drunk. Before I knew it... I was out. I don't remember falling asleep at all, just waking up telling the guy that I had a really good dream and I was sad because I couldn't remember it. I really would love to hear what some people have to say right before/after surgery. Some of the stuff has got to be hysterical thanks to the drugs.

So with all of that being said, my surgery went flawlessly, and I am extremely pleased. I wouldn't mind taking another awesome nap like that again... without the surgery part of it, haha!

Now I am home and recovering. Moving slowly, in a bit of pain, but I can handle it. Besides, I have pain pills to help me out. The worst part about the recovery is my throat/jaw/neck are in awful awful pain from the tubes that kept me breathing. Yuk!

I also keep finding monitoring pads on me. So far I have found 3, and I'm thinking I finally got them all!

I feel like a horrible mama to my baby right now. He just lays in my spot on my pillow and stares at me wondering what the heck is wrong with his mama. I can't wait to be back to normal so I can run him ragged!

And something gross for you guys? I cannot wait to shower! I have to wait 48 hours so 5pm today cannot get here fast enough! I'll leave you all with that, you're welcome. ;)


ejayonlife said...

The last thing I remember is my lips going numb as I was wheeled into the OR, then the next minute I was waking up sans a good dream. I'm for general anesthetic every time. The good news is the recovery time for carpal tunnel surgery is a whopping 24 to 48 hours without any pain.

Brooke Houston said...

ugh that whole process sounds miserable! I'm glad everything went well though. I think the hardest part for me would be fasting and not being able to eat for 20 hours! Yikes