Thursday, October 25, 2012

Take A Look at Yourself

Have you ever been told you were snotty? No? Me either... Okay, that was a lie.

Last month, I wrote this post about choices and being happy. I truly feel like I have made a change in my life [especially within the last few months] to be a happier, more positive person.

While sharing my struggles with you all lately, I've received many comments and emails from you all with kind words of my positive attitude throughout such difficult times. Really, the comments mean everything to me. They are uplifting, comforting, and make my day that much better. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, friends!

While making such wonderful changes within myself, I have to admit-- I am still me. Choosing to be happy and positive doesn't mean you change yourself, just your outlook on life. Another thing I must admit? If you don't know me very well, you may mistake my boldness for rudeness. Insert me being told I'm snotty:

To make a long story short[ish], last week at work one of my managers had asked another manager to speak with me about the way I talk to her, and that it was very snotty and I basically yelled at her when I spoke to her, all the time.

I was standing 3 feet from her when she said all of this. My initial reaction was disbelief, and then anger. As I have gotten older, I have learned and now pride myself on holding my tongue and being professional. I couldn't hold my tongue this time. I looked right at her and said very calmly, "I don't yell at you, and I'm sorry if you take it that way", and I walked away. I replayed the situation in my head for the next few hours. I was right- she was wrong. Plain and simple.

As the days went by, I realized that while maybe she is a sensitive person, maybe I too am a little much to handle to somebody that doesn't know me well.

Since that moment that I looked her in the eyes and said what I said, she has been extremely nice to me. I mean a little over the top nice. While it is a bit annoying, I think she realized that I wasn't trying to be rude to her and is just trying to show that she wasn't trying to be rude either.

The entire point of me telling y'all this, is because I think we all need to take a step back every now and then and look at ourselves. We all get comfortable with who we are and we stop trying to improve. Nobody will ever be perfect and there is always room for improvement. Realize that everyone takes things differently.

Be Kind.

No comments: