Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stupid Cupid

Saint Valentine's Day, often simply Valentine's Day, is a holiday observed on February 14 honoring one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentinus. It is celebrated in countries around the world, mostly in the West, although it remains a working day in all of them.

The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By the 15th century, it had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines").

Modern Valentine's Day symbols include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.
(source)

We hear all the time, that Valentine's Day is made up by the candy, floral, and greeting card industries. Sure, maybe they are advertised a bit more, and yeah, maybe they make a crap ton more money because of the holiday... but one thing that remains true, we all give in to it.

I have seen endless status updates about people being anti-valentines day because they don't have someone to share it with. Give me a break. Why do people get so depressed because they don't have someone to buy a box of chocolates for? You don't even know what you're going to get in that surprise box. Some are filled with heavenly caramel and the others, with fruit flavored toothpaste. Would I still eat the entire box? Yes. But do I cry when I don't receive one? No.

I understand if maybe you're a little upset, or you're longing for a significant other to be in your life. That I can get. But I just don't see how not getting a bag of chalky candy hearts can make you hate and boycott life for 24 hours.

Growing up I had a boyfriend on ONE Valentine's Day my entire life. All the other years, sure I wished I had a boyfriend. But not because I wanted presents, but because I was a teenage girl!

My point is that we, as grown adults, should not be posting depressed statuses about today being the worst day ever invented. Let's leave that for the 14 year olds.

With that being said, I actually don't have an opinion toward the holiday at all. If I get some flowers and a teddy bear, woo-hoo for me! If the day went away forever, that'd be alright too.










What do you think of the Holiday? Hate it or love it?

No comments: